- The human mind developed in four stages:
- Episodic mind: remembers repeating episodes, learns stimulus-response associations, cannot retrieve memories without environmental cues, lives entirely in the present.
- Mimetic mind: maintains motor-based representations, retrieves memories independent of environmental cues, redescribes experience based on knowledge, understands the world, communicates intentions and desires, makes tools
- Mythic (narrative) mind: constructs narratives, builds myths
- Theoretical (symbolic) mind: manipulates symbols