- Metaphysics is pointless ("incredulity towards metanarratives")
- The rational self (capable of analyzing the world) is a fiction
- Metanarratives, or "grand narratives" (dominant ideologies) provide a 'credible` purpose for knowledge, science, and technology in advanced capitalist societies (e.g., knowledge is produced for its own sake)
- Postmodernist thought must question, critique, and deconstruct metanarratives
- Postmodernist thought must prefer mini-narratives that are "provisional, contingent, temporary, and relative"
- Postmodern breakdown or fragmentation of beliefs and values