Drugs and the Search for Happiness
- Life is a search for happiness.
- We strive to find a way to feel good. Some do so with family and children, some find it in work, some find it in study, some volunteer to help others.
- Increasingly, we also depend on artificial pleasure: entertainment and drugs. Entertainment in 2011 accounts for 5% of GDP in both the USA and Japan. Opiate use worldwide from 1998-2008 increased 35%, cocaine 27%, cannabis 8.5%.
- More and more people need to get high more and more often.
- Would it be ok to just plug you into a device and inject substances in your body that make you feel good all the time without any need to actually live your life and with the guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong? You will never experience sorrow nor pain.