Nature is a Vast Cemetery
- Nature is a vast cemetery.
- Every little piece of nature is something that has died (stones from dead volcanoes, rivers from dying snow, forests from rotting organisms).
- Even the living flesh is made of the plants and animals that you killed to eat.
- And yet each dead thing is a seed.
- The seed will trigger a chain reaction of global metabolism.
- Each tomb is the embryo of a whole universe.
- Processes of decay and erosion rule the universe.
- The meaning of life is the loss of meaning.
- We are programmed to find meaning in the loss of meaning.