The Meaning of Life and Variety
- It's not that we (modern westerners) don't believe in anything anymore, but that we are not able anymore to choose among the various options that our society offers us.
- We wander through a myriad different hobbies, entertainment and relationships assuming that variety is the ultimate meaning of our life.
- We are obsessed that we have to try everything before we die.
- However, every time you try something new a little bit of your self dies.
- You are continuously constructing a new self that destroys the very self to which you wanted to give meaning.
- Some people stop existing way before they die; which is irrelevant, because they had stopped being themselves by experimenting so many things.
- Variety has replaced religion and philosophy: it has become a new religion