- Schizophrenia is a rational reaction to alienation: alienation (the disintegration of the real self) causes the individual to invent a false self
- Madness is an attempt by the individual to remedy the maddening conditions that society created
- Madness is a natural healing process
- Madness is a consequence of existential anxiety
- "Schizophrenic is a special strategy that a person invents in order to live in an unlivable situation"
- "Madness... is potential liberation and renewal"
- "Schizophrenia is a social fact and the social fact a political event"