- Four kinds of intelligence (four "modules" in the brain) evolved independently:
- Social intelligence: the ability to deal with other humans
- Natural-history intelligence: the ability to deal with the environment
- Tool-using intelligence
- Linguistic intelligence (language, metaphor and analogy)
- The hunters-gatherers of pre-history were experts in all these domains, but those differente kinds of expertise did not mix
- "Cognitive fluidity" caused the cultural explosion of art, technology, farming, religion, _
- What caused cognitive fluidity?
- Self-awareness may have integrated intelligences that for thousands of years had been kept separate.
- Mitten's evolutionary theory mirrors Annette Karmiloff-Smith's theory of child development